Andy Mahoney - Publications
Jump to: Refereed | Non-refereed
Books and book contributions
- Gearheard, S., L. Kielsen Holm, H.P. Huntington, J. Leavitt, A.R. Mahoney, M. Opie, T. Oshima and J. Sanguya, eds. 2013. The Meaning of Ice: People and Sea Ice in Three Arctic Communities, Hanover, New Hampshire, International Polar Institute.
- Huntington, H.P., S. Gearheard, M.L. Druckenmiller, A. R. Mahoney (2009), Community-Based Observation Programs and Indigenous and Local Sea-Ice Knowledge, in Eicken, H., R. Gradinger, M. Salganek, K. Shirasawa, D. K. Perovich, M. Leppäranta (eds), Sea ice field research techniques. University of Alaska Press, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Mahoney, A.R., H. Eicken, A.G. Gaylord and R. Gens 2014. Landfast sea ice extent in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas: The annual cycle and decadal variability. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 103(0): 41-56.
- Mahoney, A.R., H. Eicken, Y. Fukamachi, H. Ohshima, D. Shimizu, C. Kambhamettu, R. MV, S. Hendricks and J. Jones 2014, in press. Taking a look at both sides of the ice: comparison of ice thickness and drift speed as observed from moored, airborne and shore-based instruments near Barrow, Alaska. Annals Glaciol., 69.
- Nuber, A., L. Rabenstein, J.A. Lehmann-Horn, M. Hertrich, S. Hendricks, A. Mahoney and H. Eicken 2013. Water content estimates of a first-year sea-ice pressure ridge keel from surface-nuclear magnetic resonance tomography. Annals of Glaciology, 54(64): 33-43.
- Gough, A.J., A.R. Mahoney, P.J. Langhorne and T.G. Haskell 2013. Salinity evolution and mechanical properties of snow-loaded multiyear sea ice near an ice shelf. Antarctic Science, 25(6): 821-831.
- Jones, K.A., A.J. Gough, M. Ingham, A.R. Mahoney, P.J. Langhorne and T.G. Haskell 2012. Detection of differences in sea ice crystal structure using cross-borehole DC resistivity tomography. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 78: 40-45.
- Gough, A. J., A. R. Mahoney, P. J. Langhorne, M. J. M. Williams, and T. G. Haskell (2012), Sea ice salinity and structure: A winter time series of salinity and its distribution, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 117.
- Gough, A. J., A. R. Mahoney, P. J. Langhorne, M. J. M. Williams, N. J. Robinson, and T. G. Haskell (2012), Signatures of supercooling: McMurdo Sound platelet ice, Journal of Glaciology, 58(207), 38-50.
- Mahoney, A. R., A. J. Gough, P. J. Langhorne, N. J. Robinson, C. Stevens, M. J. M. Williams, and T. Haskell (2011), The seasonal appearance of ice shelf water in coastal Antarctica and its effect on sea ice growth, Journal of Geophysical Research, 116(C11), C11032 10.1029/2011jc007060
- Mahoney, A. R., J.R. Bockstoce, D.B. Botkin, H. Eicken and R.A. Nisbet, (2011), Sea ice distribution in the Bering and Chukchi seas: information from historical whaleships' logbooks and journals, Arctic,64(4), 465-477
- Huntington, H. P., S. Gearheard, A. R. Mahoney, and A. K. Salomon (2011), Integrating Traditional and Scientific Knowledge Through Collaborative Natural Science Field Research, Arctic, 64(4), 437-445
- Meyer, F. J., A. R. Mahoney, H. Eicken, C. L. Denny, H. C. Druckenmiller, and S. Hendricks (2011), Mapping arctic landfast ice extent using L-band synthetic aperture radar interferometry, Remote Sensing of the Environment, 115(12), 3029-3043
- Eicken, H., J. Jones, R. MV, C. Kambhamettu, F. Meyer, A. R. Mahoney, and M. L. Druckenmiller (2011), Environmental security in Arctic ice-covered seas: From strategy to tactics of hazard identification and emergency response, Marine Technology Society Journal, 45(3), 37-48
- Mahoney, A. R., S. Gearheard, T. Oshima, and T. Qillaq (2009), Sea Ice Thickness Measurements from a Community-Based Observing Network, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 90(3), p370-377 (pdf)
- Holt, B., P. Kanagaratnam, S. P. Gogineni, V. C. Ramasami, A. R. Mahoney, and V. Lytle (2009), Sea ice thickness measurements by ultrawideband penetrating radar: First results, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 55(1), 33-46. (pdf)
- Mahoney, A. R., R. G. Barry, V. Smolyanitsky, and F. Fetterer (2008), Observed sea ice extent in the Russian Arctic, 1933-2006, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 113, C11005, doi:10.1029/2008JC004830 (pdf)
- Mahoney, A. R., H. Eicken, and L. Shapiro (2007), How fast is landfast sea ice? A study of the attachment and detachment of nearshore ice at Barrow, Alaska, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 47(3), 233-255. (pdf)
- Mahoney, A. R., H. Eicken, A. G. Gaylord, and L. Shapiro (2007), Alaska landfast sea ice: Links with bathymetry and atmospheric circulation, Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans, 112, C02001, doi:10.1029/2006JC003559 (pdf)
- Grenfell, T. C., D. K. Perovich, H. Eicken, B. Light, J. Harbeck, T. G. George, and A. R. Mahoney (2006), Energy and mass balance observations of the land-ice-ocean-atmosphere system near Barrow, Alaska Nov 1999- July 2002, Ann. Glaciol.
- Mahoney, A. R., H. Eicken, L. Shapiro, and A. Graves (2005), Defining and locating the seaward landfast ice edge in northern Alaska, paper presented at Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions, POAC, Potsdam, N.Y. (pdf)
- Eicken, H., R. Gradinger, A. Graves, A. R. Mahoney, I. Rigor, and H. Melling (2005), Sediment transport by sea ice in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas: Increasing importance due to changing ice conditions?, Deep-Sea Res. II, 52, 3281-3302. (pdf)
- Mahoney, A. R., H. Eicken, L. Shapiro, and T. C. Grenfell (2004), Ice motion and driving forces during a spring ice shove on the Alaskan Chukchi coast, Journal of Glaciology, 50(169), 195-207. (pdf and errata)
- Mahoney, A.R., H. Eicken, L.H. Shapiro, R. Gens, T. Heinrichs, F.J. Meyer and A. Gaylord 2012. Mapping and Characterization of Recurring Spring Leads and Landfast Ice in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. OCS Study BOEM 2012-067.
- Mahoney, A. R., and S. Gearheard, 2008: Handbook for community-based sea ice monitoring. NSIDC Special Report 14, National Snow and Ice Data Center, Boulder, CO, 40 pp. ( download from nsidc.org )
- Mahoney, A. R. (2008), Sea Ice Edge Location and Extent in the Russian Arctic, 1933 – 2006, Digital dataset, National Snow and Ice Data Center, Boulder, Coloroado, http://nsidc.org/data/g02182.html
- Eicken, H., L. Shapiro, A. Gaylord, A. R. Mahoney, and P. Cotter (2006), Mapping and characterization of recurring spring leads and landfast ice in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas, 180 pp., Final Report, Minerals Management Service, OCS Study MMS 2005-068, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks. (download here)
- Mahoney, A. R.(2006), Alaska Landfast Sea Ice Dynamics, Ph. D. thesis, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK., 152pp. (Available on request)
- Mahoney, A. R., H. Eicken, A. Graves, L. Shapiro, and P. Cotter (2004), Landfast sea ice extent and variability in the Alaskan Arctic derived from SAR imagery, paper presented at Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2004. IGARSS '04. Proceedings. 2004 IEEE International, 20-24 Sept. 2004. (pdf)
- Mahoney, A. R., H. Eicken, and L. Shapiro (2003), Alaskan landfast sea ice variability and episodic events, Ber. Polarforsch., 443, 60-63.